Making your own tomato sauces can be relatively simple and usually cheaper. The other benefit is that you control what goes in your sauce. For me that means no sugars or milk products. If you've never done this before, here's a simple series of steps to follow.
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. With a knife, cut a small x into the bottom of each tomato.
3. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds.
4. Remove from water (some then immediately put tomatoes in ice water, to stop the cooking process. I skip this step because I will be cooking the tomatoes anyway).
5. From the x peel the tomatoes completely.
6. Cut tomatoes in half and remove seeds and juice.
7. Blend remaining tomato halves in blender until smooth liquid.
8. Cook in large sauce pan adding your favorite ingredients. Boil covered for 5 minutes. Then lower
heat and simmer-boil for about 30 minutes.
My sauce with lightly sauteed garlic, salt and Italian seasonings.
Boil-simmering out some of the liquid
Making a thicker paste is easy. Use a coffee filter and drain extra liquid.
This tomato paste will be perfect on tonight's pizza!