Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hawaiian Chickpea Teriyaki

I love chickpeas. I made an awesome chickpea sandwich spread with a nice kick to it just the other day. I also love it as a humus. I don't think I love it as teriyaki. Next time I'm trying tofu! So if anyone has some recommendations for me, that would be great!
This recipe originated from The Happy Herbivore Cookbook. Although I made many adaptions and will make more the next go round.


     4 cups of rinsed, drained chickpeas
     1 can chunk pineapple (in pineapple juice) drained
     1 onion cut in wedges
     1 green or red bell pepper chopped in large bits
     1 cup of Annie's Natural Teriyaki Sauce (no high fructose corn syrup!)

In skillet add teriyaki sauce with chickpeas. Allow to marinade for 5-10 minutes. Turn heat to high. Add onions and bell peppers. Continue to stir. Turn to medium-high heat when it starts to boil. Add pineapple during the last couple of minutes when sauce is almost all cooked in. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

Roque Camacho Jr. said...

Thanks for adding the onions and bell peppers. It made a world of a difference.