Saturday, September 17, 2011

Yummy Turkey Sweet Potato Tacos

I found this yummy recipe on Allrecipes.com. I did modify it a bit to fit the needs of our family and what we had on hand. This was super simple to put together and was a winner with the whole family (even the teens!).

  
       3/4 pound of ground turkey ( I used a super lean 99/1)
       1 large yam
       0-4 jalapeno peppers (I omitted because of my little ones)
       1/2 onion, chopped
       1-2 cloves of garlic minced
       1 tbsp of chili powder
       1 tsp of ground cumin
       1/2 tsp salt
       3/4 cup of fresh salsa (I used mild and avoided sugars and preservatives)
       cilantro
       whole grain tortillas (the corn ones I bought were just 60 calories each)

Peel the sweet potato and dice into small squares. Cook in a microwave safe bowl for 10 minutes. In a skillet brown turkey (add oil if you need to..I have been omitting it.) add chopped onions and garlic, cook for about 7 minutes over medium heat. Add spices then add sweet potatos and salsa mix well and simmer over low heat for about 4 minutes. Heat tortillas. Garnish tacos with cilantro and salsa (and what ever else your heart or diet allows).

1 comment:

Roque Camacho Jr. said...

This was delightful and DELICIOUS!